Venues: City of Cattolica
Cattolica is the southernmost seaside resort on the Adriatic Riviera of Emilia Romagna, about twenty kilometres from Rimini and on the border with the Marche region. Where Romagna gives way to the foothills of the Marche stands the Queen of the Adriatic, a name associated with the beauty of the landscape and the sea that make this well-known, quiet little resort, popular with Italian and overseas visitors alike, the ideal destination for holidays. The town is extremely proud of its maritime origins and ancient hospitality tradition that date back to when it was a thoroughfare and stopover for wayfarers traveling along the Via Flaminia (200 BC). It boasts an efficient accommodation structure and its squares, gardens and public areas have all recently been upgraded. The new marina was inaugurated in 2008. For tourists and visitors, Cattolica is at its best from spring right through to October, reaching a peak in the summer when the hospitality industry is working at full capacity. However, there are numerous hotels and restaurants open all year round. This is an elegant town; a fact that can be seen by taking a walk along its tree-lined streets, with shops and welcoming bars and restaurants where to stop for an aperitif or an ice-cream, or by taking a rest in one of the many recently upgraded squares, adorned with fountains. Cattolica certainly knows how to entertain its guests. Free time and evening hours are always packed with events, exhibitions and feasts. Each season, the Regina Theatre and Arena has an excellent programme of events. During the summer, in particular, open-air concerts and shows attract considerable interest thanks to their originality. The former Pellegrini Hospital (1584) houses the Regina Museum, which documents the pre-history and history of Cattolica, with particular reference to the Roman-Republican period and the town’s seafaring traditions. Also worth visiting is the old harbour, where traditionally the fishing fleet is moored. Lining the square, with its characteristic boat-shaped fountain in the centre, are a number of bars and restaurants.
Venues: The ‘Teatro della Regina’ (Queen’s Theatre)
Designed by Pier Luigi Cervellati in 1984, the new theatre in Cattolica is typical of the traditional Italian-style theatre, and was the first entirely new post-war theatre to be built. The theatre is built in the classical horseshoe-shaped layout typical of traditional Italian theatres. Two circles and a spacious gallery (which can be considered a third tier of boxes) surround the stalls in light-coloured wood which is attractive to the eye and makes for perfect acoustics.
Capacity: 614 seats
Stalls: 210 seats
Gallery: 168 seats
Hall Ridotto delle Sirene: 150 seats
Venues: The Church of Santa Maria della Corte, Rimini – Map
At the beginning of the XIV century the Malatesta family donated some properties within the city of Rimini to the Servants of Mary who built a first chapel. A few years later the friars decided to expand their church by building a larger one, of which today you can see the side along the main street, Corso d’Augusto. The church was a single nave, inside there were numerous altars and works of art, the apse area was characterized by three chapels with the central one of greater dimensions. The right side chapel had been built by the noble family of the Agolanti, to whom we owe the coat of arms in a pilaster on the side of the church, of the mid-fourteenth century. Between 1774 and 1777 the church and the convent were renovated according to a design by the Bolognese architect Gaetano Stegani (1678-1777); Antonio Trentanove worked as a plasterer and plasticist. In 1798 the Order of Servites was suppressed and the convent passed to the Dominicans who had been transferred from their convent San Cataldo. The Dominicans brought many works of art belonging to their previous headquarters but their order was revoked in 1799. Since 1806 the church has been a parish of Santa Maria in Corte. In 1885 the parish priest Don Ugo Maccolini established the Pious Work of the Rosary and thanks to the funds collected with it, he was able to reconstruct the façade of the church built in 1894 to a design by Eng. Giuseppe Urbani (1861-1937), rebuild the upper part of the bell tower and decorated the interior of the church with gilding made by Luigi Samoggia from Bologna.
Venues: San Leo, a magic city….
This ancient town is located on an enormous rocky outcropping, which cannot be scaled from any side, just behind the Republic of San Marino and the Rimini Riviera, in the Marecchia Valley. San Leo, a magnificent art capital mentioned by Dante Alighieri in the Divine Comedy, is the heart of the historical region of Montefeltro and the town that gave it its name. Famed for various historical and geopolitical events, it has been the location for documentaries and films, is a popular tourist destination and a jewel of the province of Rimini. Its extraordinary geological configuration, on a rocky mass with sheer sides, has led to its dual military and religious importance since prehistoric times, as seen by its precious architectural and artistic artefacts. All of the imposing defensive fort, which can only be reached by a single road carved out of the mountain, seems to extend out of the mass of rock that supports it, up to the highest point of the spur where the Fort by Francesco di Giorgio Martini sits. Once the town was called Monte Feltro, from Mons Feretus, a name linked to the important Roman settlement built up around the temple dedicated to Jupiter Feretrio. It was constantly a source of fighting, until it was finally conquered in 1441 by the young Federico da Montefeltro, who fought long and hard with the Malatesta family for dominance of the Marecchia Valley. It has hosted such personalities as Dante and San Francesco d’Assisi, who received the stigmata on Mount Averna here. Taken from the Papal States in 1631, it became a horrible prison where, among others, the Count of Cagliostro (1795) and Felice Orsini (1844) lived out their last days. Named among the “Most Beautiful Towns of Italy”, this lovely historic town is quite charming in every season. To this day, the rigour and beauty of the old town have remained intact and it boasts a number of Romanesque buildings like the parish church, cathedral and tower, along with several Renaissance buildings like the Medici Palace, which houses the elegant Museum of Sacred Art, the residence of the Severini-Nardini Counts and Palazzo Della Rovere, now the town hall. And last but not least, San Leo has a great view of the surrounding mountains, along the Marecchia Valley, all the way down to the sea.
Palazzo Mediceo – Map – was built between 1517and 1523. Its main purpose was that of hosting the Governor of San Leo and the Montefeltro area on behalf of the Republic of Florence. The troops of the city of Florence, led by Antonio Ricasoli, conquered San Leo in May 1517 with an historical battle celebrated by Vasari with a fresco in Florence’s Palazzo Vecchio. The building lies between the Parish Church and the Cathedral, right on the main square. In typical Renaissance style, it features four halls on the ground floor but lacks the court typical of Tuscan mansions. The restoration works, achieved in 1995, brought back the building to its original size. The facade is decorated with bevelled cornice. In full Tuscan style, the round-arched door is topped by smooth ashlar moulding whereas windows are surmounted by sandstone decorations. The city of Florence’s coat of arms, with the famous lily, is carved in the stone right on the main door. It dates back to 1521 and stands right next to the coat of arms of Pope Julius II, born Giuliano della Rovere. The Della Rovere family, between the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th century, decided to widen the Palace by adding the theatre hall with its vaulted ceiling reposing on corbels decorated with an oak tree with intertwining branches, which was the symbol of this family, coming from the region of Liguria, Italy. At the time, the hall was furnished with a wooden stairway, movable theatre curtains and theatre devices. When the area was handed over to the Papal States in 1631, the palace became a property of the Church State as well. In 1948, it underwent further restoration works and a new floor was added in order to bring back the harmony of the original 17th century building.